Skip to main content

Can Havies live up to the expectation?

Next week or rather this weekend's game will be the most anticipated one for the rugby league. Defending champions vs wounded lions I would say. So just thought of writing down my views on it.

This game should be a thriller. I think there is no doubt about it. But I suspect will this game live up to the expectation we have. Simply because of the fact that Havies doesn't seem to be the same unit which we saw last year, at least for me.

Changes for Havelocks

As I said in my last post it is evident for me , with the 9/10 combination it's going to be tough for Havies. I respect and understand the fact that you cant match the level of country's best halves combination (Roshan Weeraratne and Fazil Marija). But there is a BIG “if” for that. If other teams can carefully select their combination, they can make it work. Navy showed exactly that during league. Their halves combination of Suranga Pushpakumara and Chanaka Chandimal are hitting it smoothly. Pushpe is quick, cunning and dynamic which makes him good enough for the challenge while Chanaka Chandimal has shown his class.

Halves Combination

Havies are desperate for a new halves combination I think. If they are not , they will have to pay for it specially in the second round. I am not writing off Meedin and Niroshan Fernado completely. Thing with Meedin is he is too slow, lack creativity. He is always providing too static ball to his line which is killing the game for Havies when they have likes of Sandun Herath, Chamara Dabare and Mithun Hapugoda with foreign center. In last game I didn't see any occasion Mohomad Sherif who is a fairly good runner with the ball joining the line.

Scrum Half

I think Havies think tank should bring in changes. But what options do they have? Last years their substitute fly half Pushpakumara Perera is with Navy this year. I saw him replacing Suranga Pushpakumara at Kandy game as scrum half and played well. So Havies left with old soldier Zulki Hameed who replaced Meedin in the latter part of Navy game. Zulki didn't look too bad for me. He was willing to run with the ball, get tackled and spotting few gaps at will. The question is is he fully fit or ready to start a game. I really doubt that. I know Zulki gives 100% but , “has the time away from game got in to him?” Is the question I got.

Fly Half

I am not going to say Havies should replace Niroshan Fernando from the starting line up. He is a good player than that. But I think time requires Havies to take some bold, dynamic decisions. The option that looks to me is Dulaj Perera. He is a player I have watched with so enthusiasm since his school days. Kid got coll head, great amount of potential and a thinking fly half. He is not a kicking fly half, who are not tend to kick every ball come there way. Simple argument I am making is “if Rimzie Jamaldeen slotting in to #10 at CR so nicely, why cant Dulaj for Havies?”. Anyway its up to Havies think tank to bring on changes and make strategies for the game.

Mid field

Last week Danushka Ranjan started at outside. He is a wonder boy from school days, but I yet to see him fitting to club level. He tried too much on his own in last game, probably thinking that he can run around defenses like he used to do in college days. I am not asking him to be replaced, but bit more thinking and change strategies would give him a world of good I guess. Finally Lee Keegal is with Navy this year and I think it has done some impact on Havies mid field.

Kandy

I think the loss at nittawela did world of good for Kandy. I am not a Kandy fan , but I really like the way their coaching staff and players took the defeat. They didn't hide any thing and gave a good look at it and came back strong after that. They did the change everyone wanted them to do by bringing Fazil Marija to his favored position and suddenly Kandy line looks at its best with the likes of Wilwara and Lavanga Perera. What is most wonderful is even Pradeep Liyanage is sidelined due to a injury they are running circles around opponent defenses. Only weakness that Havies will find in Kandy team will be forward pack. But if Kandy play with the passion and hunger they used to play with , I think they will break lot of Colombo fans hearts and mine for sure.








Comments

Popular posts from this blog

CR and my Old Car

Was really excited for CR & FC at the beginning of the season. It stayed until before the 5th week against Havelock SC. But yet again for the umpteenth time CR just proved to me that it is really hard to be a fan of them. Let me explain my title first. I used to have 1997 make Toyota Caldina. Very spacious and comfortable, family friendly vehicle. Yes, the damn diesel automobile took me every where.  Here comes the BUT. But every month or so I would be doing some repair. I would fix the issue and would be happy. Always the joy was short lived. The very next month I would be at the garage trying to fix some thing else. Having being a CR fan almost for 20 years now, they remind me of my poor old car. If they have good forwards, then they would be lacking backs. Or rather a fly half, who could distribute the ball and set his back line in motion. Of the all  years Fazil "the legend" Marija haunted  CR and tore apart defenses,  I believe young Tarinda Ratwatte is the

Sri Lanka Cricket: Never learns , too arrogant

Its a harsh word to say , but I have been keep saying this. " We deserve to loose games" . No matter how you can live in glorified past, it does not resolve your current issues. Against South Africa, knowing Angelo Mathews is not available we still opted to play just 3 bowlers and bits and pieces spinner plus Asela Gunarathna. Result was evident. Asela and Prasanna combined to give away 136 runs for no pressure at all. Then Imran Thahir ran through our middle order like knife through butter. Sri Lanka took Lakshan Sandakan on tour saying that he will be the X factor blah, blah. When Oval pitch was not clearly a run fest , they went ahead with Prasanna and what was the result? You all know. We know we don't have bowler capable of taking wickets in the middle overs. So then play the bowler who you believed to do that for you. I am not surprised if we bring Thisara at number 8 tomorrow, who is neither bowler or batsman. We are a stupid to that level who are not resp

Remember the England

Remember the following events? 2018 Football world cup Semifinal - Croatia beat England 2 goals to 1 People all over the world mock England "It's your team coming home". Not the world cup. 2016 T20 final - Eden Garden's Kolkata West Indies need 19 runs to win during the last over. Carlos Breathwhite 4 sixes in a row left Ben Stokes in tatters. 2019 50 Over World Cup - England vs Srilanka The team predicted to score 500, went down to the weakest team in the tournament. Kevin Petersen is blasted on Twitter by fans. 2015 Rugby World cup - Host nation crashes without reaching quarter-finals. Each and every occasion people all over the world ridiculed England. When you put that behind and move to the present day, England fans now can proudly say the following. "Remember the England" The rugby world cup semi-final was one for the ages. All of England will never forget that game for a long time. Having crashed out from